Sunday, August 14, 2011

One Person's Trash is Another's Treasure

This weekend, my "Oh! THIS is why I married him!!" husband has gone beyond the call of duty and taken complete care of our three energetic preschoolers while I've nursed a head cold. Actually, the nursing part isn't quite accurate since the word implies I was doing something to help my situation, which I wasn't, unless crashing, sleeping, and staying out of the way counts.

Tonight was to be the last installment in our series on covenant in Scripture. To my chagrin, the party will need to be postponed until next week, God willing.

The good news is I've been waiting since January for the right time to share an article with you, one that has radically transformed my vision of how I perceive "just another tract."

When God made me too ill to form a good sentence, he also mysteriously caused the article to re-emerge yesterday afternoon from its position at the bottom of one of several stacks in the kitchen. To be able to find this specific 7-month-old article with no effort? Divine intervention is the only rational possibility.

The story doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary. Its title reads: "Chinese woman leads dozens to Christ with 70¢ tract"

We Christians are notorious for passing out tracts by the dozens because we believe the words of Isaiah 55:11: "So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it."

But what if one of those tracts is trampled in the mud? Ripped apart? As author Sue Sprenkle learned, this abandoned, mistreated lone tract from the Southern Cross project was still specially used by God simply because of how it got into Lily Wang's hands.

To read the rest of Lily's story, one showing God at His best work, click here. (Seriously, go read this article. You will be blessed).

*************

One woman. One lone tract blown across town, through the filth covering alleyways until it was so disgustingly pungent, no one wanted to do anything with it but burn it. And yet, in Lily Wang's hands, it became treasure, a treasure she hoarded not for herself but that she continued to use to lead 40 others to saving faith in Christ.

A Bible is still difficult to obtain in China. Voices of the Martyrs estimates there’s only one Bible for every 222 people. To see how many Bibles China would allow in your hometown, use MReport's Bible Calculator. I promise you'll be surprised.

This is where YOU and I come in. We can be involved in getting Bibles to China without even traveling to Asia. Each packet of Bibles costs about $3.45. The packets include a Bible, the Jesus Film, various tracts and Christian DVDs. Our giving to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and Cooperative Program helps to support workers to coordinate this project. Funding for Bibles and distribution materials comes from other sources.

Southern Cross also needs 36 new teams to come work three different popular Chinese vacation spots in Asia. To learn how to be involved in giving to this Bible project or to get involved on one of these 36 teams of the Southern Cross Project, e-mail scptravel@pobox.com.

Who knows. Maybe you and I could provide the next trash-to-treasure tract for that soul seeking God.

No comments:

Post a Comment